Making ketchup at home is surprisingly easy, and it's free of added sweeteners and preservatives.
Experience Level: Beginner
- 4 medium tomatoes (1.25lbs)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash tomatoes and remove their stems.
- Make a shallow "X" cut in each tomato and boil for 30-60 seconds.
- Place tomatoes in a bowl of ice water. Carefully peel off the tomato skin.
- Add the tomatoes and onion to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat saucepan on a low flame. Add the blended mixture, tomato paste, vinegar, and sugar. Stir and cook until the mixture thickens. And salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the ketchup in a container of your choice. Refrigerate when not in use.